University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

Transition to Storrs


Campus Change

Upon admission, UConn students are assigned a “home campus.”  Students may change their home campus freely between the 5 regional campuses (Avery Point, Hartford, Waterbury, Stamford, and Torrington) to take their classes.  In order to change the home campus to Storrs, however, students must meet certain requirements, driven by the courses required for their particular major.  These requirements are enforced in order to manage enrollment at the main campus.

Students can complete the entire four years of study at Avery Point and complete a degree in:

  • American Studies
  • English
  • Maritime Studies
  • Marine Sciences
  • Bachelor of General Studies 

For other academic programs, students will need to take upper-division courses at the main campus in Storrs or at a different regional campus.  When students switch their registration between campuses, the University calls it a “campus change” (it is NOT a transfer).

Most Avery Point students are required to complete 54 credits of course work (usually four semesters of enrollment) before changing to the Storrs campus.  Credits brought in through ECE, AP, or transfer work will count toward the required 54 credits.

Any exceptions to the 54 credit rule are authorized only if the students’ academic program requires them to be in Storrs for the sophomore year, and if the student has completed all prerequisite courses for that academic program.

A Campus-Change Meeting is held twice a year where students can learn about the process of changing campuses, including critical deadlines for requesting on-campus housing in Storrs.