University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

Newly Admitted Students

Welcome to the UCONN NATION at Avery Point!

Admitted Students Spring 2017



We are excited that you have chosen to attend UConn Avery Point!  We are looking forward to seeing you at Orientation and helping you get started as a UConn Husky!  This information will not be repeated at Orientation, so follow these instructions carefully, to be sure you have “smooth sailing” at our beautiful campus-by-the-sea!


New Student Checklist:

If you haven’t already, do this first!

Math placement is next

Tasks to complete before attending Orientation

Select a day for Orientation

Tasks to Complete Before the Semester Begins

Familiarize yourself with Avery Point

Planning ahead for campus change

A guide to UConn lingo




If you haven’t already, do this first!

  • Pay your enrollment deposit. Visit the Admissions website for details and instructions.
  • Activate your NetID. An email providing your NetID and activation information was sent from University Information Technology Services when you applied for admission. You will use your NetID to access the Student Administration (SA) System, HuskyCT, and other technology services.  If you participated in UConn Early College Experience (ECE), your NetID will not change.  Visit NetID if you have questions or need to reset your password.



Math placement is next

  • Review the Math Placement Exam Pilot Study If your major requires that you take the Math Placement Exam (MPE) before Orientation and you do not do so, you will not be able to register for Precalculus, Calculus 1 or Calculus 2 at Orientation.  On the Math Placement Exam webpage you can see a list of majors that require an MPE score.



Tasks to Complete Before Attending Orientation

  • Upload a Photo for Your UConn ID Card. For photo guidelines and upload instructions visit How to Upload Your Photo for Your UConn Husky One Card (PDF).
  • Log into your Student Administration System to see if you have any holds; for assistance locating this information visit the Student Administration System Help   Holds can be placed on your record by various offices for a variety of reasons. If you see a hold which says “Enrollment Restricted” for any other reason than “Advising Required,” please contact the appropriate office. The “Advising Required” hold will be lifted at Orientation when you meet with your advisor. Enrollment holds issued by other offices such as the Bursar, Financial Aid, Student Health Services etc. need to be taken care of before orientation, otherwise you will not be able to register for classes.
  • Register your cell phone at the University’s Alert Notification 
  • Access your UConn Google Apps for Education (Email) Account – The University has partnered with Google Apps for Education for its email system. All official correspondences from the University will be sent to this address.
  • Submit your official final transcripts from previously attended institutions directly to UConn, either electronically or by mail in a sealed envelope.


Select an Orientation Day

Orientation is a streamlined program that gives you the opportunity to register for classes, learn what you can do to “protect our pack” and familiarize yourself with campus services.

Orientation days are as follows:

  • Thursday, December 15, 1:00-4:00
  • Thursday, January 12, 1:00-4:00

To register for an Orientation day, please call the Student Services Office at (860) 405-9024.


Tasks to Complete Before the Semester Begins

  • By January 8– Pay your UConn tuition/fee bill.  All billing and financial aid information is accessible via the Student Administration website. Students must view the financials link to access their bill and their financial aid package. No bill will be sent to you via US Postal Service. It is each student’s responsibility to pay the fees by the due date. Failure to make payment by the due date will result in the addition of a late fee or cancellation of the privileges accorded a student, including registration.
  • By January 16 – Complete AlcoholEdu: As part of our comprehensive prevention efforts, UConn requires all incoming students to complete AlcoholEdu. Students who have already completed AlcoholEdu at their previous institution may email to learn how to be waived from the requirement.  Students required to take AlcoholEdu during the spring semester may start AlcoholEdu Part 1 on January 3rd.  Please be advised that any accounts created prior to January 3rd will be deleted
  • Before Classes Begin – Submit your Health History Form. The health/immunization form must be completed and returned to the Storrs campus Student Health Services.
  • Before February 5 – Submit a health insurance waiver if you are waiving the University-sponsored health insurance plan.
  • Pick up your Student ID from the Library.
  • Before Classes Begin If you are a student with a disability and require accommodations please register with the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) prior to the start of the semester.


Familiarize yourself with Avery Point

Campus Communication

  • E-mail: GoogleApps@UConn is the official means of communication used at the University and is the primary form of communication used by faculty and staff. You should make a habit of checking your e-mail every day.  Many University offices, including the Registrar, Bursar, and Financial Aid will ONLY communicate with you through your UConn email account.
  • Parents who would like to receive occasional e-mailed announcements from the Avery Point campus can sign up for the parent listserve by linking to AVPT_Parent-L.


Registration Basics

  • Course credits

Each course is assigned a certain number of “credits.”  You can think of credits as an indication of the amount of time and work a class requires.  Most classes carry 3 credits.  You’ll see science lab classes, freshman composition, advanced math classes, and language classes that carry 4 credits.  You’ll see 1 or 2-credit courses as well.

To qualify as a full time student, you must register for 12 credits.  To carry a “full load” and to finish your degree in 8 semesters, you must carry at least 15 credits per semester.  Students are allowed to take a maximum of 17 credits.  Students who have a history of academic accomplishment can request to take more than 17 credits.  We recommend that first-semester freshmen start with a ‘light’ load of 13-14 credits as a transition strategy.

Most academic majors require 120 credits to graduate in addition to specific course requirements. Make sure you understand the requirements for YOUR major.  Refer to the University Catalog for specific requirements and other information.

  • Gen Eds

All students must take general education courses designed to broaden students’ knowledge of the world we live in.  Students should concentrate on taking gen ed classes in their first two years.  There are “content areas” of gen eds (Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, Science and Technology, and Diversity and Multiculturalism) in addition to “competencies” (Computer Technology, Information Literacy, Quantitative, Second Language, and Writing).  Many academic plans require specific gen ed classes as prerequisites for courses in the major; students should work closely with their advisor to make appropriate gen ed choices.


  • Service Indicators

A “Service Indicator” is a hold on your account.  This means that you have a problem that needs to be fixed before you will be allowed to make any changes to your records in Student Admin.  The Service Indicator shows up as a red icon – a line inside a circle – on your screen. You can click on the circle to learn about the problem and how to remove the hold.   Rule of thumb:  If Student Admin won’t let you do something, there is a reason – go talk to the Registrar!

Some examples of why a student record might have a “service indicator”:

  • Students are not allowed to register until they meet with an advisor.
  • Students may not add any courses if their bill was not paid by the deadline.
  • Students may not make any changes in their account if they have not submitted their health immunization record.


Planning your schedule

  • Leave space between classes for built-in study time, or to clear your head so you can refocus for the next class. Taking three classes back-to-back will be really hard!
  • Register for a First Year Experience class to ease the transition into college. The UNIV 1800 course focuses on knowledge of university procedures, campus community building, study skills, lifestyle decisions, and meeting new people. Each course has a particular focus and flavor to meet individual preferences.  All freshmen are highly encouraged to register for one of these classes!
  • Choose courses most appropriate for your major: For example, do not register for a science class designed for science majors (even if it meets general education requirements), unless you are a science major!
  • Modify your schedule: Students may drop or add a class in Student Admin until the 10th day of the semester.  Students may withdraw from a class until the 9th week of the semester, but must do so through a manual process; students who wish to withdraw after the 10th day should go to the Registrar’s Office.
  • Participate in a Service Learning or Community Outreach activity, such as mentoring a child or joining Husky Ambassadors.
  • Plan for your commute: Being a full time student is like having a full-time job. Consider arriving on campus at 8 a.m. and not leaving until 5 p.m.  Get your studying done while you are here.  Leave plenty of time for your drive, to allow for any hold-ups on the road.


Classroom Success

  • How to spend your time: These are the two cardinal rules for successful students:
  • Show up! Go to class.  Study everything the professor suggests.  Remember that “reading” is not the same as “studying.”  The professor will not cover all the material in class; you need to learn on your own!
  • Count your study hours! Schedule your study time.  Every hour in class requires 2-3 hours study time outside of class.   A student carrying a full load (15 credits) should spend 45 hours per week on classes.

Designate specific time to study specific classes.  Post the schedule where you will see it every day.  Count your hours at the end of the week – did you put in 45 hours?  You can study less and pass the class, but if you want to really learn the material (hence earning an A), you need multiple exposures to the material (e.g. don’t just read the chapter, study it – outline, underline, self-quiz, flashcards, etc.)

Studying is most effective in small blocks of time; avoid “marathon” study sessions on weekends or before an exam.   You want to learn and know the material forever; cramming is an ineffective strategy.

  • Plan a good spot for studying. Home can be “too” comfortable, or home can have too many distractions (friends, internet, or family responsibilities).  Take advantage of the Library, Student Center, Academic Center, Mort’s Cafe, empty classrooms, etc.
  • Should you have a job? If you’re working on classes for 40+ hours a week, how can you hold down a job for 40 hours a week?  Many students at Avery Point have jobs; be reasonable about how many hours per week you work.


Student Services

We know that life sometimes throws curveballs.  If you run into ANY trouble, see Trudy Flanery, Director of Student Services right away to discuss your options. Branford House 306, (860) 405-9024.

  • Personal Counseling: We do not offer comprehensive mental health services. There is, however, a personal counselor on campus.  Go see him if you need help getting over a “bump” in the road.  Academic Building room 114F, (860) 405-9044.


What Makes Avery Point Great

  • Your professors will notice you. Small classes mean you get to know people.  Be sure to take advantage of instructor’s office hours to maximize your learning.
  • Become part of the Avery Point community. Meet other students by joining in campus activities or relaxing in the student center.  Get involved with ASG, join the sailing or martial arts club, become a Husky Ambassador, or start something new!
  • Lots of opportunities! There are a lot of faculty, staff, services, academic and research opportunities, and social programs for you on campus.
  • We like you! We wouldn’t be here if we weren’t interested in your academic success!  So come see us if you have a question!


Campus Services


  • Academic Center: Open to all students for group study, tutoring, and other assistance with academics or related subjects.
  • Academic Advising: Students will be assigned to either a faculty member or to a professional staff member for advising.  All students are welcome to utilize the services in the Advising Center, Branford House 314.
  • Admission and Recruitment: Provides information for students considering attendance at UConn.  Provides assistance with admissions appeal process and requests to change major in the summer prior to the first semester of attendance.  (860) 405-9026.
  • Campus Operations Office: Branford House 308.
  • Counseling Services: Available on a drop-in basis (ACD 114F) or by appointment.  Call (860) 405-9044.
  • Dining: Mort’s Café is located in the Student   A discount meal program is available – call (860) 486-3128 for more information.
  • Disability Accommodations: Information is available on the Center for Disabilities website, or call (860) 405-9024 to make an appointment with Trudy Flanery, Director of Student Services.
  • Off-Campus Housing: For information about local apartments, or for help in finding roommates, contact Lisa Hastings at (860) 405-9262 or
  • Registration: Assistance with any question related to course registration, Branford House 313 and 315, (860) 405-9019 or (860) 405-9017.
  • Student Activities: Avery Point is a vibrant community with active student clubs and campus events.
  • Student Services: Provides assistance with a wide variety of student issues, for example, extended illness, classroom accommodations, rescheduling exams, problem with a class, campus change, need to withdraw.  This is the office to call when you don’t know who to call!  (860) 405-9024 Branford House 306.
  • Student Support Services (SSS):  Students enrolled in this program register for summer classes prior to their freshman year, and receive direct academic support throughout their years at UConn.  Located on the second floor of the Community and Professional Building.



Planning Ahead for Campus Change

UConn students may move freely between the 4 regional campuses (Avery Point, Hartford, Waterbury and Stamford) to take their classes.  In order to move to the Storrs campus, however, students must adhere to the campus-change requirement for their particular major.  These requirements are enforced in order to manage enrollment at the main campus.

Students choose Avery Point for many reasons:

  • outstanding quality of the academic experience.
  • live at home and save some money
  • small size and setting
  • accepting admission to Avery Point as a second choice — these students find that they benefit from what our campus has to offer, that is, small size, small classes, individual attention, excellent learning opportunities, and easy access to the faculty.
  • And, of course, we have this beautiful location.

Students can remain at Avery Point for the entire four years of study and complete a degree in:

  • English
  • Maritime Studies
  • Marine Sciences
  • Bachelor of General Studies

For other academic programs, students will need to take upper-division courses at the main campus in Storrs or at a different regional campus.  When students switch their registration between campuses, the University calls it a “campus change” (it is NOT a transfer).


When Do Students Change Campuses?

Most Avery Point students are required to complete 54 credits of course work (usually four semesters of enrollment) before changing to the Storrs campus.  Credits brought in through ECE, AP, or transfer work will count toward the required 54 credits.


Any exceptions to the 54 credit rule are authorized only if the students’ academic program requires them to be in Storrs for the sophomore year.  Students should be vigilant to enroll in the required freshman year courses for these majors in order to qualify for the early campus change.  Academic advisors are available to help students enroll in the appropriate courses and answer any questions about specific courses required for majors.


Myths About Campus Change

The first myth about campus change is that students have to reapply to go to Storrs.  Avery Point students are already UConn students, so they do not reapply, and they do not “transfer” (“transfer” is a term for students who are moving to UConn from another University).  Instead they do what is called a “campus change.”   Students simply fill out a form notifying the Registrar that they want to change campuses.  If students want to change to Storrs and meet the requirement for change, that is, if they have completed 54 credits of course work, or if they have completed the courses required for a campus change in particular programs with a lower credit requirement, then they are approved.


The second myth is that campus change approval is based on academic success.  In truth, the guidelines are in place to manage enrollment at the main campus, particularly the general education courses.  Whether the student is on probation or on the Dean’s List, they must meet the 54 credit rule in order to go to Storrs.


Campus Change Timeline

A Campus Change Meeting is held twice a year:  in October for students who wish to change campuses for the spring semester and in February for students who wish to change campuses for the fall semester. At the meeting, students are given the campus change form to complete; this is a short form that formalizes the students’ request to change campuses, and can be completed in just a few minutes.  Also at the meeting are representatives from the Storrs campus to answer questions about how advisors are assigned, where to go if a student has problems, how to apply for on-campus housing, how to look for off-campus housing, etc.


The deadline for requesting on-campus housing is mid-November for the spring semester and mid-March for fall semester.  Students go on-line to apply for on-campus housing, and their campus change MUST be approved before they can apply for on-campus housing.  On-campus housing is guaranteed to all Avery Point students changing to the Storrs campus as long as they meet the housing deadlines.


A Guide to UConn Lingo

Add/Drop: The first 10 days of fall and spring semesters when students can continue to change their course schedule online without getting special permission. After Add/Drop ends, you cannot add or drop classes online; you may still withdraw from class until the 9th week, but you will need to see the Registrar to do so. Check with the registrar about Add/Drop deadlines for shorter terms–summer sessions, May term, or Intersession courses.


ADVAPP:  A website used by many advisors to schedule appointments.  Students should go to ADVAPP and choose Avery Point from the drop-down menu to see if their advisor is listed.


ASG: Associated Student Government is the largest student group on campus. ASG is responsible for many programs and events on campus. ASG serves as the voice of the students.


Campus Change: The process of changing your registration from one UConn campus to another.


Catalog: On-line publication containing academic regulations, course descriptions and requirements for majors and minors, as well as requirements for the individual Schools and Colleges. Students are held to the requirements listed in the catalog for the year they enter their major.


Co-op: The University bookstore.


Day 10/Fixed Enrollment Date: Each semester, final financial aid awards will be based on your enrollment status (number of credits) at the University of Connecticut at the end of the add/drop period (10th day of the semester).  Appropriate adjustments to the award package will be made at that time.


Electives: Courses that a student may take that do not fulfill any major/minor or general education requirements.


FAFSA: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed in order to receive financial aid.


FERPA: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act is a federal law that mandates the students’ rights with regards to their educational records.


Full Load of Classes:  15 or more credits.


Full-Time Student: A student enrolled for 12 or more credits.


FYE Class: First Year Experience: courses that help freshmen make a smooth transition into life as a University student. These courses are offered under the University (UNIV 1800) listings.


GPA – Term (Semester or Term Grade Point Average): Includes all courses graded A-F in a single term, either a fall or spring semester or a summer session. This average is computed by dividing all credits attempted at UConn for a single term into the total grade points for that term.


GPACum. (Cumulative Grade Point Average): Averages all courses graded A-F that a student has taken at UConn. This average is computed by dividing total accumulated credits attempted at UConn into the total accumulated grade points.


Homer: Name of the library catalog, named for the Storrs library namesake, Homer Babbidge.


HuskyCT: This is a website that many instructors use to enhance their courses. It is used to post homework assignments, post review materials or online quizzes, and to enable students from the class to communicate with each other, among other things.


Husky OneCard: A photo ID issued when students come to campus that is used at many University offices and facilities and to get into University events. It also serves as a library card, as a debit card for purchases in the Co-Op or Mort’s Cafe, for printing in the library and computer lab, and to hold Husky Bucks for on campus purchases, particularly the meal plan.


MPA: the Math Placement Assessment, sometimes referred to as ALEKS (Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces).  Math assessment software used to determine best math placement for students pursuing majors that depend on a thorough knowledge of mathematics.


Permission Numbers: Unique random numbers issued by instructors that are used to allow students into courses whether or not they are full. The same numbers allow students into courses, who would be otherwise blocked.


Prerequisite or co-requisite: Courses that must be taken prior to, or concurrently with, a specific course.


Student Admin: The online system which allows students to register for classes, view and print a schedule, accept financial aid and pay their bills, and view their grades from any computer. Access to the system requires the use of your netID and a password.


Student Admin Class Search: The method used to find courses offered in a given semester. A printed directory is not available.


Title IV Waiver:   The waiver allows the University to apply your scholarship or any form of financial aid to cover your entire bill, rather than only the tuition portion of your bill.  You should complete this waiver in your Student Admin account.


Transfer Credits: Refers to credits from classes taken at other colleges or universities.