University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

American Studies FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions

I’ve heard that American Studies is an interdisciplinary major. What does that mean?
Interdisciplinary majors approach questions or problems from the perspective of multiple subject areas. American Studies considers questions like: what does it mean to be an American? What is America’s role in the world today? What should it be? These are really complex questions, so we need to take several different disciplinary perspectives to really grapple with them. American Studies draws on research and methods from humanities and social science fields like Anthropology, Art, Economics, English, History, Political Science, Sociology, and many others. We need to take several different disciplinary perspectives to deal with such a complex.

What’s the difference between American Studies and History?
History is just one field that contributes to American Studies. It’s crucial to understand history in order to address complex questions about American identity and America’s place in the world, and some American Studies majors choose the History, Culture and Society track within the degree. Others, though, prefer a track that focuses on Literature and the Arts, on Economics, Political Science and the Law, or on The Americas.

Can I do a double major with American Studies?
Absolutely. Many students choose to double-major in American Studies and a disciplinary field like English, History, or Political Science. This provides them with the opportunity to delve deeply into one methodological approach applied to several areas of study in their disciplinary major and to consider one area of study (America) through several disciplinary lenses. For details of how to double major in American Studies, please click here.

What kinds of courses would I take in an American Studies major?
American Studies is an interdisciplinary major, which means it includes courses from a number of different areas, including Anthropology, English, History, Political Science, and many others. To get a sense of exactly which courses students take in the American Studies major and minor, please click here.

How do I apply to the American Studies major?
To be admitted to the American Studies major, you must complete the regular University of Connecticut application process. To receive a UConn application, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (860) 486-3137 or download a copy of the application from For questions concerning general admission to the University of Connecticut, visit the website at, or call the above phone number.

Can I arrange for a tour of Avery Point?
Please contact the Office of Student Recruitment at (860)405-9026 or Lyndsey Neville at
If you do not see your question here, please contact Avery Point’s American Studies Program Coordinator Matthew McKenzie (, or look for answers at the American Studies website.